he French Maritime Academy ENSM trains Electrotechnical Officers ETO*, who are in charge of the maintenance of electrical and electronic systems on board ships. ETO’s intervene in any aspect related to electricity production and distribution, maintenance and setting of automatic systems and any electronic system on board ships.
The ETO program is intended for Post Graduate persons already holding a title or certification at Baccalaureat + 2 years (BTS, DUT, DEUST, etc.) level or more, in the following fields: automation, electrical engineering, electronics, IT and networks.
• Medical fitness for seafarers
• Candidates are selected based on their qualifications
• The program is taught on the French Maritime Academy ENSM) campus in Nantes from September 2022 to June 2023.
The ETO program is detailed in annex VI of the decree of August 9, 2016 relating to the issuance of the electrotechnical officer certificate: https://www.ucem-nantes.fr/
The basic content includes four modules, supplemented by a specific program as per STCW requirements**.
• The ETO Diploma is issued after successful validation of the training and upon delivery of a recognised Certificate of proficiency in English (level B1 of the CEFR at least).
• The ETO Certificate is issued after a six-month navigation period as an ETO* cadet. The Electrical Technical Officer Certificate is issued in accordance with the STCW** requirements, for ETO positions on all types of ships.
*ETO Electro Technical Officer
**STCW : International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers
REGISTRATION / INFORMATION