Specialised Master DEMAS course
It is dedicated to train high level technical senior managers, specialised in the growing sector of designing and operating autonomous maritime systems, by giving them a double competence, on the one hand in mechanical design of a marine system, on the other hand in software engineering, control of intelligent systems and cyber-security.
This course will be managed by both ENSTA ParisTech, with a long tradition in engineering and maritime engineering design, and ENSM, heir to Colbert’s Hydrography Academies, which has trained merchant navy officers for centuries.
Training course objective
The applications for autonomous systems in the maritime sector are on growing demand and they represent a major development medium. While ROV and AUV are well settled in the maritime landscape, either for maintenance operations or exploration, new applications ideas are coming up with the advent of autonomous land transport systems, the growing use of onboard IA (decision-making aid), the existence of remote mapping and operation departments.
The aim of the course is to provide the students with a double competence in mechanics and IT so that they can become the referents, understanding the ins and outs of ongoing programmes on autonomous maritime systems. This basic training will be supplemented by notions in advanced system engineering, operation, laws and regulations and strategy and innovation, in order to complete the knowledge with an operational approach. The partnership between ENSTA ParisTech and ENSM will enable the combination of a great technical competence for the jobs functions in order to train versatile profiles specializing in autonomous systems.
The move towards the automation of maritime systems is major and has numerous ramifications in all the related fields of maritime engineering. Either in the shipping sector (automation of container ships, ongoing work on the development of the first 100% autonomous goods carrier by 2020), energy (monitoring and maintenance of oil wells, automated exploration, mines detection…) or civil, a lot of opportunities will be offered to the students with a technical and IT double competence in order to cope with the different aspects of autonomous maritime systems.
The companies from the maritime sector developing autonomous technologies and interested in this kind of profile are part of the oil and oil-related industry (Technip FMC, Saipem, Doris Engineering, d2m, ...) the marine energies sector (Woodgroup Kenny, Principle Power, EOLFI, ...), large groups of the shipbuilding sector (Naval Group, STX, ...), classification (Bureau Veritas, DNV-GL)and shipping companies. The size of the recruiters is very variable, from very large groups (Technip FMC, Naval Group, STX, ...) to small and medium-sized companies engaged in niche sectors for autonomous maritime systems (SubseaTech, iXBlue, Sofresud, COMEX, AlseaMar, ...) used for surveying, maintenance, mapping, data collection in a broad sense.
The instruction will be delivered by lecturers from ENSTA ParisTech, ENSM as well as industrials leaders in the sector from : Bureau Veritas, DNV/GL, ECA, GICAN, IFREMER, iXBlue, Naval Group, Saipem, SHOM, STX Europe et TechnipFMC.
Language of instruction : the lectures will be delivered in English.
The Pole-Mer Méditerranée has approved the Specialised Master DEMAS.
Training course programme
The main objectives of the course DEMAS are to deliver the technical, operational, regulatory and economical basis for the design and operation of autonomous maritime systems, in order to train specialists able to work in this growing sector. The course has been developed around four competences which are as follows :
1. Design in a marine environment : hydromechanics basis required to design autonomous maritime systems (naval hydrodynamics, seaworthiness, stability, propulsion and manoeuvrability, systems engineering, underwater robotics).
2. Decision-making autonomy and cyber-security : system control, mobile robots navigation, architecture of information systems and cyber-security.
3. Operation of autonomous systems : advantages and constraints, missions previously undertaken by autonomous systems, perspectives and future-oriented autonomy in marine engineering
4. Regulation, strategy and innovation : international, European and domestic maritime regulations, industrial and innovation economy, applied to the maritime sector and to autonomous systems
Helpful information / Contacts
Conditions of admission
- Diploma BAC+5
- Diploma BAC+4 and minimum three years of professional experience.
The application file, the deadlines and the dates of the jury are available on ENSTA PARISTECH’s website
Calendar / Language of instruction
A thirteen-month course :
- From September to March : Lectures
- From April to September : Internship
Download the course’s flyer Specialised Master DEMAS
Language of instruction : English
- Individual candidates in initial training or seeking employment (with supporting documents) : €7 000
- Candidates in ongoing training sent by companies: €12 000
Registration fees: €200