The research actions are essentially carried out through collaborative projects (European, national or regional) and mainly focus on the ecological operation of the ship, maritime security or the autonomous ship. Thus, the projects in progress are :
– ANTARCTICA : improve on-board energy efficiency by using positive or negative cold heat conversion solutions as partial replacement of existing chillers.
– CAPNAV: real-time embedded instrumentation that will give access to a large number of parameters on the emissions of fine particles.
– E PANEMA* : studying and developing the innovative technological building blocks which will greatly enhance navigation safety and will offer a better protection of the environment by mitigating collisions and a decision aid,
– OPTIROUTE** : reducing the energy consumption of ships by taking into account the environment and especially the sea state in the design and operations of ships,
– PASSION* : development and validation of the navigational integrated bridge for merchant ships
– SEA4M* : offering a monitoring system environment suitable to the implementation and the collaboration within the same missions of different types of autonomous crafts while securing their operations
– SEAWING* : . Developing and commercialising a ship traction auxiliary system by a captive sail
* : Projects supported by ADEME
** : Projects supported by FUI
The French Maritime Academy offers a programme, « Future ship », according to a statutory approach aiming at indentifying the barriers associated to evolutions : autonomous ship, use of hydrogen onboard….
Simultanously, the students carry out innovative works from topics and issues suggested by industrials. This approach gives the future engineers the opportunity to apply the skills and competences gained at the Academy and this for innovation and to quickly be in contact with future employers
Research at the Academy develops through partnerships but also through an increase of competences of the different teams to meet the innovation needs and train the future engineers of the maritime economy
Download the press release – “Research : The French Maritime Academy strengthens its ambitions”
Examples of dissertations at the French Maritime Academy
Engineer-level Seafarer : Within the bridge of the future project, study of the Man-Machine interface ergonomy of the conning display and the information contextualization. Evolution of a mixed weather routeing. Enhancement of a vessel’s IT safety. The use a the ship data towards energy optimisation
Maritime engineering : Treatment of the exhaust gases of ships’ diesel engines. Installation of batteries and/or supercondensers onboard the Loire ferries. Statutory aspects and certification of the ship Plastic Odyssey…