La recherche à l’ENSM
– Maritime safety and security : vessel, MRE fields, drones and cybersecurity.
– Energy efficiency : new ship propulsion systems such as gas, hydrogen, scrubbers…
– Protection of the environment : innovations towards maritime environment.
The ENSM studies the innovations statutory requirements and suggests evolutions
The Academy integrates collaborative projects with large industrial groups, SMEs, start-ups and players of higher education. Among these projects, the following should be noted: the bridge of the future, propulsion using a kite sail and new equipment to enhance navigation safety.
The students participate in the research activities according to their specialities :
– The Engineer-level seafarer course includes the writing of a dissertation which subjects can be suggested by the ENSM, related to the research programmes or maritime innovations. These works enable, through a personal reflection, the suggestion of innovations and a collaboration with shipowners or industrials, the future potential recruiters .
– The Eco ship management and Offshore maintenance manager courses include a work and research studies module to train the future project leaders. The subjects suggested by the industrials, related to the specialities, are carried out in M1 with teams of two to four students.
Les projets en cours
– AERONAV* : design of a new generation of working ships which will be both fast and fuel economical,
– E PANEMA* : studying and developing the innovative technological building blocks which will greatly enhance navigation safety and will offer a better protection of the environment by mitigating collisions and a decision aid,
– OPTIROUTE** : reducing the energy consumption of ships by taking into account the environment and especially the sea state in the design and operations of ships,
– PASSION* : development and validation of the navigational integrated bridge for merchant ships
– SEA4M* : offering a monitoring system environment suitable to the implementation and the collaboration within the same missions of different types of autonomous crafts while securing their operations
– SEAWING* : . Developing and commercialising a ship traction auxiliary system by a captive sail
* : Projects supported by ADEME
** : Projects supported by FUI
Simultanously, the students carry out innovative works from topics and issues suggested by industrials. This approach gives the future engineers the opportunity to apply the skills and competences gained at the Academy and this for innovation and to quickly be in contact with future employers
Research at the Academy develops through partnerships but also through an increase of competences of the different teams to meet the innovation needs and train the future engineers of the maritime economy
Download the press release – “Research : The French Maritime Academy strengthens its ambitions”
Exemples de mémoires à l’ENSM
Maritime engineering : Treatment of the exhaust gases of ships’ diesel engines. Installation of batteries and/or supercondensers onboard the Loire ferries. Statutory aspects and certification of the ship Plastic Odyssey…