Preparatory class to the International Deck Watchkeeping Officer (OCQPI)
The preparatory class to the OCQPI and introduction to the maritime world training course prepares the candidates for the OCQPI degree course at the ENSM, Le Havre. This course is delivered by qualified ENSM teachers and meets two main objectives :
- To ensure standard for the entry into the first year degree course
- To introduce the maritime world.
This preparatory class is intended above all for candidates motivated by the OCQPI degree course and by jobs related to the sea. It is made for people holding their end of school diploma as well as people wishing to change career path.
All applicants holding their end of school diploma will be eligible. The candidates will be selected on the basis of their application and after being interviewed.
The classes will last about 25 weeks from September until the end of April.
Contents common to all trainees :
- General, maritime and SMCP (maritime phrases) English
- Scientific subjects : Maths, Physics, Mechanics, Electronics, Automation
- French, Communication
- Introduction to the maritime world: discovery of the bridge aids to navigation and of the different navigation simulators within the school; visits, meetings with different players of the maritime and port sectors.
Within the first weeks of classes and according to the development needs identified by the teachers, the trainees will follow a programme :
- Either mainly scientific
- Or mainly English
Duration / Cost of training
A minimum of 500 hours of classes will be given, to which an equal amount of hours of independent study will be added.
For European Union trainees: €4000
For non European Union trainees: €4600 (an appropriate visa will be required)
Important points to note :
- A limited number of trainees will be admitted.
- The training costs are payable when enrolling. No refund will be made if the trainee doesn’t finish the course.
- The selected candidates will have the trainee status part of the vocational training courses and not the student one (which makes a difference for the social security cover and the visa)
Registration for the academic year 2019-2020 will open in January 2019.
Download the flyer of Preparatory class to the International Deck Watchkeeping Officer (OCQPI)
Le Havre campus : +33(0)9 70 00 03 80