The French Maritime Academy (ENSM) trains ETO* electrotechnical officers, who are responsible for the maintenance of electrical and electronic systems on ships. They are involved in all the technical fields of electricity production and distribution, in the maintenance and adjustment of automatic systems and all the electronic systems on board.
• ETO* training is intended for holders of a diploma equal to or higher than Bac+2 (BTS, DUT, DEUST, etc.) in automation, electrical engineering, electronics, computing and networks.
• Medical aptitude for navigation.
• Admission is by selection on the basis of qualifications.
• The training is given on the French Maritime Academy (ENSM) site in Nantes from September 2021 to June 2022.
ORGANIZATION OF STUDIES
The ETO training program is detailed in annex VI of the order of August 9, 2016 relating to the issuance of the electrotechnical officer certificate: https://www.ucem-nantes.fr/
The reference system includes four modules as well as a specific program of STCW** qualifications.
• The ETO* diploma is issued after validation of the training and upon presentation of a certified certificate of proficiency in English at least level B1 of the CEFR.
• The Electrical Engineering Officer certificate is obtained after six months of navigation as an ETO* graduate.
The training leads to an Electrical Technical Officer (ETO*) certificate in accordance with the STCW** requirements to assume the function on all types of ships.
*ETO Electro Technical Officer
**STCW (Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers) International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers.
REGISTRATION / PRACTICE